Changing Looks

Change is a beautiful thing. Notably, when a change is made to boost a person’s confidence and self-esteem. Usually, these are visual changes like a new tattoo, piercing or haircut.

Now is the best time to change how you look due to the pandemic; there is not much to do besides embrace a new look. There are a variety of ways to transform yourself: dying or cutting hair, getting a tattoo or piercing and changing clothing styles.

In fact, I have noticed quite a few people modify their looks in the past year, including myself. At one point the front of my hair was dyed purple; I also got two new piercings and glasses. Although they are not huge changes, they make me look dramatically different and feel beautiful.

Many people in the community have made some unique changes to their appearances, Senior Emmanuella Phillips said, “I have cut, died and styled my own hair. I also just got heavier

into tattoos as well. I’ve always wanted to be different and I guess dying my hair became a reoccurring custom.”

The last year and the beginning of this year are good years for change, which is wonderful because change keeps things going. It is like when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, and in the end the artistry is put on display.

Tattoos seem to be very popular this year, and this is more than likely caused by students coming of age as well as tattoos being a good choice for self-expression. According to Pub Med, “A prevalence of 27% for body piercing and 8% for tattooing is observed among high school students.”

Senior Emily Brandis said, “I not only got two piercings and two tattoos but between December all the way to February I had cut and colored my hair about four times. I for sure want to get more tattoos in the future.” Brandis who got a tattoo inspired by her favorite band and Phillips who got a cross both recommended getting a tattoo if prepared.

Not only is change taking place in our community, but in others as well so might as well share the love. Plainfield South High School Senior Angel Pence said, “I like having a permanent picture of things I enjoy or find pretty on me. They make me feel like I’m part of a big group.” Pence has a tattoo of a cactus on her arm and wants more tattoos in the future.

If the thought of changing something about yourself and have been putting it off now is the time to do it. Go get that piercing or weird hair-cut because being yourself is the best thing to do in 2021.

Meaningful Ink. Tattoos are a wonderful form of self-expression and a cool body modification. Getting a tattoo can change how a person is perceived but only the meaning matters. Emily Brandis said, “I’ve been told by many that they really like my tattoos and piercings so I get a lot of compliments.”