Returning In Person

Colette Methling, Editor

The wave of online learning from home seems to be slowly, but surely coming to an end. As of January, the school decided to implement a new system where half of the student body would attend in person Monday and Tuesday, the other half Wednesday and Thursday and all students would participate in online learning on Fridays. 

Although recently, the school sent out a survey asking parents if their child would want to attend school five or two days a week in person, or just simply stay remote. This is a huge decision to make. I would love to see the whole student body at school together again, but I know how risky this can be. 

Obviously, everyone’s going to have a different opinion on the matter. Some see the idea of “normal” school returning as wonderful, while others disagree. “I don’t feel comfortable about it. No matter how many masks, the distances between people, or now vaccines will make it ok. There is too much unknown that is playing into this,” senior Karsen McGill said. 

Despite the risks, several students are itching to return to school. “Personally, I am excited to return back to school for 5 days a week. While it’s nice to be at home, I often get distracted by things in my environment. Being in person for school helps me to stay motivated and focus better in class,” senior Mary Riva said. 

No matter our differences, we can all agree that COVID-19 has affected everyone’s lives drastically this past year. “We haven’t had a normal senior year without sports, dances, being in person, and seeing our friends. Nothing seems the same anymore and I wish we could all experience our last year of high school the right way,” senior Cambri Horner said. 

None of us can predict what the future may look like regarding school, sports, dances, or gatherings in general. All we can do is check up on the ones we care about, wear a mask and get vaccinated. If we can do this, we will soon be able to return to the glorious “normal” life we once had. 

Our high school, once filled with thousands of lively students, has been either empty or filled with only half of the student body since COVID-19 turned everyone’s lives upside down. Much like many of her classmates, senior Karsen McGill has been taking part in online learning this school year and left wondering what the school board has planned for after Spring break.